Monday, October 15, 2012

On Losing Contests, Kevin Spacey, and My Marxist Views

So this whole writing a lot is kind of new to me.
   
    Well, not the writing-writing part. I’ve always loved writing but I’ve been a bit shy about showing it to anyone. (Note that this is probably the last time that I will ever write the words “shy” and “I” in a sentence.) Writing things for me has always been easy. I’ve forgotten more stories I “meant to write down” then I’ve probably ever read. But putting myself out there has always been difficult. I find what I write amusing. And compelling. And kind of handsome. So when I do put myself out there, I’m really putting myself out there.

    As you know, I recently entered a Washington Post humor writing contest. Well, I can now officially say that I entered a Washington Post humor writing contest... and failed. I did not win. Actually I probably could have said that a few weeks ago, but I was holding on to every sliver of hope that any minute they’d say, “surprise!” But alas it was not meant to be.

    My brain has been a wild rush of emotions. Yes, it was a small contest, but it was kind of a big deal. I mean, I put on an air of bravado, but I really am guarded when it comes to my writing. I write my thoughts, but not ALL my thoughts. At some point if I did that I would be Kevin Spacey in Seven. I also don’t share all of my writing here on this blog. I fell that the blogger-bloggee relationship needs to have some air of mystery.

    The thing is, I feel kind of good about it. I mean, not in my glib Marxist view. By “Marxist” I of course mean Groucho Marx’s famed line, “I don’t want to be a part of any club that would have me as a member. Which Marx did you think I was talking about? I lost the contest. But, I entered a contest to lose. I don’t know I would have done that had I not started this blog.

    Of course, now it’s time to start moving on. This contest is done, now it’s time to find another one. And another. And another, until I’m good enough to win them, or until my random musings aren’t just on the internet, but across the world. And maybe it’s time I start sharing more of my writing on this blog.

    Stay tuned, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment