Friday, October 31, 2014

Blog Hop and Shameless Plugs!



Hello Loyal Bad Shakespeare Readers. And, of course, non-loyal bad Shakespeare readers. Also hello to any of you Googling Breaking Bad and Shakespeare and winding up on this website. As many of you know, I strive to participate in Nanowrimo, National Novel Writing Month, because I eventually want to be a writer and I enjoy challenging myself. So, yes, I’m working on it this year with YA High, a satire of Young Adult Novels, and it’s going to start tomorrow, nice and early because that’s when I like to get things done. 

By getting things done early, I mean, I’m going to be up early anyway, so I might as well spend the time writing. 

In any event, I wondered a lot what my last post was going to be before I start. I could write about Halloween and my favorite Halloween movies. (You should watch Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.) I could write a synopsis. I could write another thing about rah-rah Nanowrimo. Then my lovely and talented mother, Maria Hock, who can be found at her website, asked me to participate in the Blog Hop, which is where a bunch of art blogs discuss their process and then post it to their blog as a way to drive people to their website. And I was all like, “score, now I don’t have to find a bunch of movies to go along with Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

So, now..

Shaun of the Dead. Shaun of the Dead would go along with Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

Anyway, so here are my responses to the Blog Hop and my creative process.

1. What are you currently working on?

I’m currently working on my Nanowrimo Novel, YA High, along with finishing up the edits to my previous novel, Mars Kaplan Saves The World, which was my previous project. I hope to the latter self-published towards the beginning of next year. 
YA High is a satire on the Young Adult Novels that are really big nowadays. Don’t get me wrong… I love them. I just got into the Maze Runner novels, and I think they’re great. But only someone who truly loves them and has studied them can write a successful comedy novel. I believe I’m that person.

2. How does my work differ from others in its genre?

I try to show how much I love what I’m working on, rather than just writing a satire that makes fun of all it’s conventions. In my previous novel, Mars Kaplan, I tried to play to the idea that the chosen one is chosen in these books, and thus wins. My protagonist, Quint, in YA High, really doesn’t want anything to do with the novel, despite the fact that it involves magic and corruption at the highest levels of the Student Council. Also the Student Council may rule the world. 

3. Why do I create what I do?

Because I have a billion characters in me, all fighting to see the light of day, and it would be a shame if they never came out. It sounds a bit glib, but I really enjoy what I do, and I really enjoy creating. I think it’s important. I don’t sit down and create, the characters come to me and tell me their stories. Secretly I hope I have some kind of psychic connection with people, and this is their way of getting it out. 

The World’s End. That would also fit in with Tucker and Dale vs. Evil and Shaun of the Dead.

4. How does my creating process work?

I prefer the Neil Gaiman method of putting a word down, then another one, and eventually you’ll have a sentence. Then you’ll have a paragraph. And so on. 


That’s about it for me from the Blog Hop. It’s recommended I like to at least one other blogs, since I’m an overachiever, I’m going to recommend you check out the very talented blogger and part-time Bad Shakespeare, The Island of Mistfit Toys, and you take some time to check out my very good friend who just started her Blog over at Anna Joie.


In the meantime, check out YA High, starting here tomorrow, and tell your friends. I want big numbers on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment