Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Green Lantern.

       The most recent reboot of DC comics has one of their main characters, the original Green Lantern, come out as gay. As I’m a huge Green Lantern fan, I decided that I wanted to comment. (Also, because I have a forum for it. Never underestimate having a forum.)

    Of course, people will start protesting. One Million Moms (aka Forty Thousand Women With Nothing Better To Do aka, the Legion of Doom) has already protested, because that’s what they do. They’ll ask you all to think of the worst possible thing that could possibly happen because of a sorta but not really mainstream comic book superhero is gay, then tell them. Because you know, they probably can’t think of it themselves. (I totally stole that joke from Futurama. It’s accurate.)

    To help them, I’ve come up with a list of all the bad things that will happen now that DC comics has introduced the one billionth gay superhero into comics but we will pretend is a big deal because for the first time it’s a superhero that was at one time mainstream but was replaced with four different incarnations since his heyday:

    1. Nothing.

    Did you get that? I’d hate for anyone to miss it.

    Look, at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter who the Green Lantern is in love with, just as long as he stops the aliens from melting my face. DC Comics chose for Alan Scott to be gay because they rebooted the character. Before his reboot, he was an older man with two kids, one was gay and the other one was green. (Don’t ask.) I’d think the green kid would be more controversial, but I guess my priorities aren’t as straight as everyone.  So actually, it makes more sense to make this particular character gay rather than, say Batman. (Batman is married to the JOB, man!!)

    Alan Scott isn’t the first superhero who happens to be gay. Marvel Comics is featuring a wedding between two gay characters later this summer. I find that cover to be way more controversial. (Oh, I’m not against a wedding between two gay characters, I just saw the cover and Storm and Ice Man are floating above the ceremony. Seriously, you two? It’s those guys’ day. Maybe you can show some respect and sit in the seats like everyone else.) And this doesn’t discount the hundreds of other gay characters in comics that have come before this.

    My point is that it isn’t a big deal. Who does it hurt? Yes, comics are meant for kids. (Of all AGES, that is!) But some of this does go back to what I was saying about censorship. These comics are going to show, presumably, the Green Lantern, a hero, in a positive light (Positive green light, as it were.) The Golden Age Green Lantern, Alan Scott, is gay. He's also a Superhero, who is going to put his life on the line to save Earth.

    Who does it hurt to show kids that heroes come in all sizes, shapes, and sexual orientations?   

No comments:

Post a Comment