Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Reflection on my Reflections.



        When I started this blog roughly two years ago, it was going to be primarily a blog about my journey from mild mannered whatever I was doing, to becoming a teacher. As I doubted that I was going to become a teacher, and I was unsure about my future, the blog became a little bit more about me - science fiction (I still have a Doctor Who post waiting in the wings for me to unleash on you all), books, Nicolas Cage, writing, and whatever I really felt like posting. Then I had a really bad experience with a job - probably one of the worst experience I dealt with - and I realized that yes, I did want to be a teacher. I guess as much as I dislike this particular situation, I owe them all thanks. They’re not going to get it, but I owe it to them.

Yes, for a little bit during my education process, I doubted that I wanted to even be a teacher. Between the horror stories about the internship, the constant reminder that I’d be working with kids all day (and the way some people said it that made it sound like I’d be working with convicted murderers all day), and the constant stream of parents, politicians, and various pundits all reminding me about how lazy I was for picking my future career, it hasn’t been easy. But sometimes, doubt creeps in, and you just need to be reminded what the right path was. 

As noted, a mere week ago I started my internship at a High School near or around the county in which I live. If you’re wondering if I’m being vague, then yes, you’re absolutely correct! There are moments I want to be specific... in fact if you want to know where I’ll be on March 1st and 2nd, that’s contained in this blog. You can probably figure out my name, and this entire thing is linked to a Facebook page. But I’m going to be somewhat vague when discussing this out on the blogo-info-whatever-sphere. 

That brings me to my next dilemma. And I’m not talking about the underrated song by Nelly and Kelly Rowland. How much of my internship do I want to discuss here, on Bad Shakespeare. I mean, up until this point this has been an education blog with occasional moments of insanity. This blog has been about me and my pursuit to become the world’s greatest teacher, or in the very least, a teacher. So, how much of the original stuff should I avoid?

Turns out the answer is: Most of it. You see, as I’m getting more and more information about just what it is I’ll be doing, I’m finding out that I’m going to have to write roughly 4 papers about my experiences a week. That’s more than I write about Bad Shakespeare, if you can’t tell. And I was wondering how much I should put down, and whether I can work on it for the blog, or whatnot... the thing is, I can’t. I want the reflections to be an honest portrayal of what I’m doing and how I’m feeling, and I don’t know that I can put all of that up here for everyone (re: future employers) to see. I mean, while I’ve had some awesome experiences, I’ve had some ones that I need to discuss and work out in my head. Nothing so terrible that I’m rethinking my future career, just little things that I don’t want to get completely out, and I don’t want to get out of hand. 

Plus, at some point, I’m going to need a break from thinking about this teaching stuff. The Student Teacher thing is an odd duck if you think about it: on the one hand I get to pay over $5000 for the honor to get to work a job I won’t get paid for and I can’t have another job to pay the rent, on the other I have to constantly think about it to the point that I had a dream where I had to go back and teach people from a previous job - people I liked - and they all made fun of me. 

Stress Dreams! Hooray!

I’ll occasionally update this blog with stories about what happened, and at some point I may even throw in one of those reflection papers if I can find one witty enough, or one that lives up to the high standards set by the Nicolas Cage referencing department of Bad Shakespeare, Inc. But we’ll have to see.


So, continue to wish me luck on my teaching. I hope to update you all soon. In the meantime, continue to read this blog, and continue to enjoy what I have cooked up for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment