Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Only Marathon I'll Ever Run...


Show of hands, how many people knew that AMC Theaters does an annual Oscar Movie Marathon? How many people knew that a handful does one that lasts 24 hours? Now, how many people are prepared for... BAD SHAKESPEARE’s 24 HOUR OSCAR MOVIE MARATHON LIVEBLOG!

On February 23rd and February 24th, I will be taking part in AMC’s Oscar Movie marathon 24 full hours of all the movies nominated for best picture. I’ll be watching Argo, Django Unchained, Life of Pi, Les Miserables, L’Amour, Lincoln, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Zero Dark Thirty, and Silver Linings Playbook. I don’t know the order, and I won’t know until the time of the show, and I promise, a Bad Shakespeare liveblog of all the shows as they happen, right here on Bad Shakespeare. No, not DURING the movies. I’m not going to be “that guy.”

The obvious question, of course, is why? Why do I want to sit in a movie theater for 24 hours? I ask you, why not? Why climb a mountain? Why inventI did it last year and it was a blast beyond blasts. You sit in a theater, get to know some new people. And I’m going to share the experience with all of you. Of course, the ones in the middle may not be AS shared as the others. I’m staying up for 24 hours, I may get fuzzy around midnight.

I have been looking forward to this event for the past year. Last year I arrived about an hour before the first show started, not really sure what to expect. In good time I managed to meet just about everyone around me. The manager running the event was probably one of the best managers that I’ve seen, asking trivia questions, telling us how excited he was that we were there. 

Now, the important thing about a movie marathon is pacing. Yes, the best strategy is to grab that large popcorn and soda... I mean, you free refills, so you’re set for the day. But you can’t eat it all at once, or during every single movie. Remember, you’re pacing yourself. That’s where I had a problem last year: I didn’t bring any extra snacks. You need to fill up on fruit and real food at some point. Man can not live on only popcorn for 24 hours, and plus you want to save those for the later movies. It’s important that you really allow the sugar, salt, and soda carry you to the later hours.

And this goes without saying: layers. You have a bunch of people in the movie theater for 24 hours, it’s going to get WARM. Every once in a while you have to exit the theater, walk around for a little bit, absorb the fresh air. By “Fresh air” I mean “any air where people haven’t been marinating in popcorn butter and sour patch kids for the past  12 hours.” 

What makes this year fantastic is I’m going with some more friends. I honestly can’t wait to show them this experience, also, to get their permission before I use their real names in these posts, or if I use made-up names. Either way, it should be pretty interesting. And I look forward to sharing it with you, my readers! So this is one of my rare, “What’s coming up” posts that I use on days where I don’t really know what else to talk about, and I used up most of my outrage early in the week with that lady that wants to ban the books. So I hope to see you all here, Saturday, as we discuss movies. Lots of them.

To adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment